Waste Reduction Week / Giveaway
Hey London, let’s step up to the plate and hit one out of the park; funny, I’m not even a baseball fan but this timely analogy seems fitting as we’ve got quite the challenge ahead of us. Starting today and running until Sunday, October 24th Waste Reduction Week (WRW) is taking place and London is at the forefront of this initiative.
WRW dates as far back as the mid 1980’s when a number of environmental organizations rallied together to hold waste reduction events. In 2001 these organizations came together to create the national event now known as Waste Reduction Week in Canada. The Recycling Council of Ontario was the leader of the efforts put in place in our province and London has been a determined member of the RCO for many years.
The WRW action is a call to all Canadians to reduce their waste; plain and simple. Many of us are already doing our part in our homes and at work to reduce our waste. This dedicated week is designed to remind and motivate individuals and families to share their experience and find new ways to reduce, reuse and recycle.
In 2008 London accumulated an overall total of 159,380 tonnes of waste. Of that total:
- 59 percent or 93, 650 tonnes were delivered directly to a landfill
- 41 percent or 65,730 tonnes of total waste was diverted
- 9,400 tonnes were reduced on-site (at home) through composting and/or grasscycling
- 18,270 tonnes were reduced through centralized composting
- 27,660 tonnes were recycled through the curb side program, multi-residential program, materials delivered to the Community EnviroDepots, public space bins and electronics
- 10,400 tonnes were reduced through other programs such as wood and scrap metal waste and white goods
HOW TO GET INVOLVED
There is a multitude of ways in which you can contribute and you’re probably already doing many of them but here are some helpful tips to assist you this week:
- Visit the websites linked above to find new ways to follow the three R’s and to learn of the programs London offers.
- Visit City Mom each day this week to learn of new ideas to carry out waste reduction in your home.
- Participate in the City Mom challenge and giveaway.
- After reading this post, go out into the world and practice the three R’s in as many new and unique ways you can.
- Come back to City Mom, click on the ‘Leave a Comment’ link at the top of this post and share your experience with us.
- You can enter as many times as you would like with a new idea that you have implemented each time.
- Entries must include something you did to support Waste Reduction Week.
- Challenge is open to Canadian residents only.
- The submission that has received the most ‘Thumbs Up’ votes (City Mom will not be voting) by 5:00PM ET on Sunday October 24th will receive a package of two Filtrate High Performance furnace filters by 3M (to fit your furnace). These filters are designed to help your furnace perform more efficiently; this will save you money and reduce energy consumption. Filtrate High Performance filters also contribute to improving the air quality in your home for the health and safety of your family.
- The winner will be contacted at the email address provided during entry.
- Good luck, have fun and happy reducing!
MONDAY’S WASTE REDUCTION TIP
Send your child to school with a waste-free lunch:
- Use reusable containers for sandwiches instead of sandwich bags
- Buy lunch items in bulk or family size to reduce packaging
- Use a thermos for beverages instead of juice boxes or bottled water
- Use a reusable lunch bag instead of plastic or paper lunch sacks
- Send an absorbent cloth for wiping up after lunch instead of wipes or napkins
Photo courtesy of freedigitalphotos.net Photographed by Nuttakit.