Dollar Store Chic
I don’t consider myself a regular dollar store shopper. I visit occasionally for things like wrapping paper, ribbon etc. but not much else draws me in. Well that all changed last week when I read this post by a brilliant bargain finder and talented designer.
You see I love creating things but it’s usually the cost that keeps me from doing it regularly. I like to paint my art to adorn the walls of our condo and somewhere in our junk closet I have a craft caddy that gets used occasionally. But after reading Katie’s post I felt inspired.
That night I went to Dollarama. I wanted to prove to myself that I had a keen eye. I wanted to testify that I was able to spot the potential of what most would see as undesirable items.
I had a hard time.
Perhaps I have trouble seeing the beauty on the inside…but that’s a different post altogether. I did manage to find some items that I felt could be enhanced to fit into my Christmas decorating theme.
Dollar Store Decorating
The colour scheme that we have used since my husband and I celebrated our first Christmas together is black, red and silver. You can see it displayed on our Christmas tree here. Red wasn’t hard to find at all, but items in black and silver were not as easy. Thankfully I had a can of silver spray paint at home. This allowed me to look outside the colour scheme with the knowledge that I could change it at home.
So for $10 I purchased these items:
And here is how it turned out…
Not bad in my opinion.
Here’s how I did it:
- I spray painted the two cherubs with a shiny silver paint and a matte silver paint to create a pewter effect
- I separated the cedar sprigs from the branches
- Next, I affixed them with a glue gun (it was hidden in the caddy) to the stems of the floral sprigs
- I filled the bottom of the vase with the leftover cedar sprigs
- I arranged the floral sprigs until they filled the vase nicely
- I cut one silver berry from the floral sprig to save for later
- I found some black ribbon (again, courtesy of the craft caddy) and glued it around the centre point of the vase
- Lastly, I glued the single silver berry to the centre of the ribbon to cover up my glue spots
I learned a valuable experience. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and you don’t need a large budget to decorate well.
I’d love to hear about your clever dollar store finds. Share them with me.
Thanks to Fire Wife Katie for the inspiration.