Clean Eating Gluten Free Mozzarella Chicken
As you probably know by now, I get a high from cleaning up classic comfort food recipes. It thrills me to learn that you don’t have to compromise the taste of your favourite recipes to achieve a healthy meal.
Creating dishes that are good for the waist line is important but there’s no sense in doing so if you’re not going to enjoy the outcome. Let’s face it, we can try anything for a period of time but if we’re not enjoying it we won’t stick to it. I guarantee you’ll love this one and so will your family.
This week I’m linking up with Whispered Inspirations, Positively Pampered Patty and Kat’s Confessions for their weekly Fit & Firm Friday feature. The FFF link-up features posts from these women and from other bloggers that all share information about fitness, healthy recipes, trials and tribulations of weight loss and most importantly they offer support!
This recipe is similar to a classic Chicken Parmesan recipe that has roughly 820 calories per serving. I have estimated this clean version of Mozzarella Chicken to be about 400 calories per serving*.
- Cooking spray (Pure olive oil)
- 2 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- 2 tsp dried oregano (divide into two portions)
- 1 can (28oz) organic crushed tomatoes
- ½ cup of rice bread crumbs (I use PaneRiso Foods rice bread crumbs)
- ½ tsp dried thyme
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- 4 – 4oz chicken breast
- Dijon mustard
- ½ cup skimmed mozzarella cheese
- 1 tsp dried basil
- Brown Rice pasta (or another gluten-free variety)
- Heat the olive oil in a large pan over medium heat. It’s important not to overheat the oil as it will lose its health benefits and affect the taste.
- Add onion, garlic and red pepper and oregano, sauté for about 5 minutes.
- Add crushed tomatoes and heat to a simmer. Once simmering, reduce heat, cover and cook for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400 F and coat a baking sheet with cooking spray.
- Place chicken breasts between to sheets of plastic wrap and flatten to one inch thickness using a meat mallet, set aside.
- In a large, shallow dish mix rice bread crumbs, 1 tsp oregano, thyme, salt and pepper. Stir.
- Evenly cover each side of the chicken breasts with Dijon mustard and transfer to bread crumb mixture, fully covering both sides of chicken with crumb mixture.
- Place chicken breasts on baking sheet and bake for 20 minutes.
- Cook pasta according to pasta directions.
- When chicken is ready, cover each with 2 tbsp of the tomato sauce and 2 tbsp of the mozzarella cheese, bake for another 10 minutes.
- Top pasta with remaining tomato sauce and add one chicken breast to each plate. Sprinkle with dried basil.
Try this out and let me know what you think if you do. Also stop by and visit the bloggers mentioned above for some other great tips, tricks and inspirations for staying fit and firm!
Enjoy!*Note: calories per serving estimated based on package indications. It is not necessarily 100% accurate.