Growing Chefs: Asparagus Soup
This week in City Mom’s Kitchen we meet with Glenda Smith from Smith Cheese Inc. Glenda is very knowledgeable on the local cheeses she sells in her shop at the Covent Garden Market. What I found particularly interesting is the fact that Glenda knows personal details about each farm she receives her cheese from. It puts a whole new perspective on buying local!
In Urban Exposure this week we discover more about Grickle Grass Festival which is put on to fund a program called Growing Chefs. Since this week’s City Mom’s Kitchen feature doesn’t have a recipe to share, I thought I’d share a recipe from Growing Chefs Ontario.
This soup really hits the spot and it is so tasty!
- 6 cups chicken/vegetable stock
- 2 bunches of fresh local asparagus
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 carrot, peeled and chopped
- 2 stalks celery chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cut Asparagus into small pieces
- Sautee onions, carrots and celery in a large pot until soft
- Add asparagus and stock and gently season with salt and pepper
- Bring to a boil, then turn heat to low
- Simmer for ½ hour on low
- Blend until smooth using emulsion blender
- Pass soup through a med mesh strainer
- Taste and season with salt and pepper
- Serve hot and drizzle with extra virgin olive oil to finish
Swap out asparagus for your favourite seasonal vegetable and you’ve got another hearty and tasty soup!
You can find out more about Growing Chefs Ontario here. Thanks to Andrew Fleet for sharing this delicious recipe!