Clean Banana Cupcakes with Peanut Butter Yogurt Frosting
I’m so excited to share this recipe with you today from Tosca Reno’s The Eat-Clean Diet Vegetarian Cookbook. This week on City Mom’s Kitchen, Little S and I (along with my sister) show you how to make these delicious and healthy muffins/cupcakes. Thanks to Tosca & team for sharing this recipe with City Mom viewers and readers!
Keep reading to the bottom to enter to win your very own copy of Tosca’s The Eat-Clean Diet Vegetarian Cookbook.
To say it was challenging to be a show host and a mom at the same time is an understatement. During taping it felt chaotic but the finished product is actually quite cute! Enjoy!
BANANA CUPCAKES WITH PEANUT BUTTER FROSTING
Prep: 20 minutes | Cook: 27-30 minutes | Yield: 10 cupcakes
Photographer: Donna Griffith
This classic combo tastes great on a sandwich, but in cupcakes? Even better! Best of all, these are guilt free and they wear many hats! Learn more in the tip below.
- 1¼ cups (300 ml) whole wheat pastry flour
- 2 Tbsp (30 ml) finely ground potato flour
- 2 Tbsp (30 ml) flax meal or ground flaxseed
- ½ tsp (2.5 ml) baking soda
- ¼ tsp (1.25 ml) baking powder
- ¼ tsp (1.25 ml) sea salt
- 3 Tbsp (45 ml) virgin coconut oil, melted
- ¼ cup (60 ml) Sucanat or other unrefined sugar
- ¾ cup (180 ml) low-fat milk or plain, unsweetened soy or almond milk
- 1 cup (240 ml) mashed very ripe bananas, about 3 large
PEANUT BUTTER YOGURT FROSTING
- ¼ cup (60 ml) all-natural peanut butter, sugar and salt free
- ½ cup (120 ml) Yogurt Cheese* (see p. 276)
- 2 Tbsp (30 ml) pure honey
- ½ tsp (2.5 ml) pure vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350˚F (177˚C). Line a muffin tin with 10 paper liners.
- In a bowl, mix together whole wheat flour, potato flour, flax meal, baking soda, baking powder and salt. In a large bowl, mix together coconut oil and Sucanat. Add flour mixture and mix together until texture resembles slightly wet sand. Slowly stir in milk. Fold in bananas until just combined. Batter will be thick. Scoop a heaping ¼ cup (60 ml) batter into each lined muffin cup until all batter is used. Bake 27 to 30 minutes until toothpick inserted into center comes out clean. Transfer cupcakes to a wire rack to cool.
- To make frosting, mix together peanut butter, Yogurt Cheese, honey and vanilla extract until well combined. Frost tops of cooled cupcakes.
Basically, the only difference between a muffin and a cupcake is the frosting, so if you want to skip the topper – go ahead! Your cupcakes will become delicious and healthy banana muffins.
The cupcakes will keep in the refrigerator up to five days.
*Yogurt Cheese must be made ahead of time.
Prep: 5 minutes + overnight draining of yogurt | Cook: 0 minutes | Yield: 4 cups
- 2 quarts (1.9 L) low-fat, plain yogurt, dairy or soy based (see Prep Tip)
- Place four layers of damp cheesecloth in a fine mesh sieve or colander. Place the colander over a bowl.
- Add yogurt and let it drain overnight in the refrigerator.
- Discard the water from the bowl.
The yogurt you use for this recipe must be all natural and free from gelatin or other binding agents.
Nutritional Value per Serving (½ cup):
Calories: 80 | Calories from Fat: 14 | Protein: 12 g | Carbs: 5 g | Total Fat: 2 g |
Saturated Fat: 2 g | Trans Fat: 0 g | Fiber: 0 g | Sodium: 43 mg | Cholesterol: 5 mg
Recipes credits: Tosca Reno with Kierstin Buchner