10 Delicious & Healthy Protein Shake Recipes
Ah January; you are here and you are welcomed with open arms; 2015 was good enough for me, big picture, I have much to be thankful for…small picture, it was a tough year. I have high hopes for 2016 and I’ll get back to you later on how that’s going.
NEW YEAR, NEW YOU
Many people use the New Year to set new goals or resolutions. I don’t personally like calling them “resolutions” because I feel that it has the opposite effect on me…I feel like they set me up for failure.
It is estimated that only eight percent of people whom actually make a NY resolution are successful in achieving their goal*, but I do have improvements to make in a few different areas, one big one being my health.
With a stressful end to 2015 and some holiday indulgence I fell off the wagon and I need to get back on track with my fitness goals. To start, I am participating in my second Arbonne 28-Day Clean Eating Detox; a big part of this plan includes using protein shakes as meal replacements.
I’ve written before why having a protein-rich diet is good for you and why it helps to assist in weight loss; nobody likes to get bored with their meals so I’ve gathered this list of the best protein shake recipes (in my opinion) to keep you happy and healthy.
10 BEST PROTEIN SHAKE RECIPES
- Passionfruit Green Smoothie: A delicious green smoothie filled with fruit, vegetables and fantastic flavour. Just add a scoop of your fave protein powder and you’ve got a meal in a glass! Credit: Family Food & Travel
- Oatmeal Raisin Cookie Protein Shake: a delicious cookie-inspired shake using cashew milk. Um? Yes please! Credit: The Bewitchin Kitchen
- Pumpkin Spiced Smoothie: delicious anytime of the year, you can replace the dairy with other non-dairy options if you require a dairy-free alternative. Credit: Confessions of a Fitness Instructor (note: free download of 12 Smoothie Recipes file)
- Blueberry Almond Ginger Smoothie: Get the value of antioxidants from blueberries, the healing properties of ginger and honey and the dairy-free protein of almond milk. Add in a scoop of your fave protein powder and voila! Credit: Family Food & Travel
- Chocolate Banana Peanut Butter Protein Shake: need I say more? Swap the peanut butter for almond butter to make this even healthier! Credit: A Sweat Pea Chef
- Cinnamon Roll Protein Shake: who doesn’t love a cinnamon roll for breakfast?! Cinnamon is the star of this delicious protein smoothie that tastes almost exactly like a cinnamon breakfast roll. Credit: jennifermeyering.com
- Almond Butter Date Shake: This is a creamy (but dairy-free), dessert-like shake that makes a healthy protein-rich snack or a post workout recovery shake. Yum! Credit: Love & Zest
- Tropical Sunrise Smoothie: kind of makes me want to go on vacation, but I bet you’ll feel like you’re on one with this treat. Swap out the yogurt and add in the protein powder to make this a true meal replacement. Credit: Mom on Time Out
- Banana Blueberry Protein Shake: one of my favourite combinations is banana and blueberry; this recipe is quick, easy and refreshing! Credit: Ambitious Kitchen
- Purple Power Protein Smoothie: jam-packed with nutrients this shake is light but nutritious! Credit: Mom Loves Baking
If upping your nutrition game is on your list of resolutions or goals for 2016, or if you’re already a protein shake lover, this is a list I highly recommend you make your way through. Note for the recipes that don’t originally call for protein powder, be sure to add more liquid than the recipe requires.
What is your favourite protein shake combination?